So, I have found that being at home with a one year old and being 9 months pregnant makes it a little difficult to cook meals that take time. The slow cooker is one of the best inventions when it comes to having a hot meal, but minimal prep time 🙂 This chicken cacciatore over cauliflower mash was super easy. I basically threw all the ingredients into the crock pot and used my husband's famous line, "Set it and forget it" ;). This was also my first time making cauliflower mashed potatoes and I've got to say it is my new favorite go-to.
This chicken cacciatore can be paired with any veggie you really prefer, but I found the cauliflower to be a big winner. The extra sauce from the chicken dish was great to use as a gravy for the mash. Cauliflower is also an extremely healthy vegetable. Not only does it contain unique plant compounds that may reduce the risk of several diseases, including heart and cancer, but it also weight loss friendly!
Ingredients to make this dish
- 1 package of chicken tenders
- Small onion, sliced
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. minced garlic
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup of organic free-range chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup of spinach
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. of almond milk
Directions to make this meal
- Throw all chicken tenders, onion, salt and pepps, garlic, tomatoes, chicken stock, and vinegar into a crock pot. Make sure the chicken is covered completely in the sauce.
- Set crockpot on low for 5 hours or high for 2 and ½ hours.
- Stir in the spinach before serving and let cook for about 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Meanwhile, for the cauliflower mash - Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and turn heat down to med-low. Cook covered for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft and tender. When it is done, remove from heat and drain.
- Put cooked cauliflower into a large bowl and add the butter and milk and desired salt and pepper. I own a hand blender I got as a gift for my bridal shower. It is the best thing I own and I used it to mash the cauliflower. If you do not own one you can pour cauliflower into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve the cauliflower mash with the chicken cacciatore poured over top!