Fruit Crisp is a healthy, refreshing, dessert that will leave you feeling satisfied! This recipe is made using Gluten-Free Ingredients and is so simple to make I promise anyone can do it!
Guys, this was literally so easy and such a quick, simple dessert to whip up. The name fruit crisp just sounds so refreshing and juicy! You can use almost any fruit to make this dessert, as well.
I am a huge fan of this basic dish. I also just happen to have some frozen fruit in my freezer, for smoothies, which is why I opted for those to make this dessert, but you can also use fresh fruit or even canned fruit.
If you love this light dessert then you need to try my Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies or my Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Brownies!
This dessert from start to finish only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to prep. Then, it takes 30 to 40 minutes to bake and cool for about 10 extra minutes. It's insanely simple to make, as well!
Ingredients for this dessert
- bag of frozen fruit - any type of fruit will work. The preference is yours. That is what makes this dish so fun and versatile. You can switch up what type of fruit you use each time you make this healthy fruit crisp.
- cornstarch - this ingredient is used for thickening puddings, soups and pie fillings. When added to this recipe, cornstarch helps create a crumbly and tender dessert-like texture.
- lemon juice - I always recommend using real lemons for this recipe and then using a juice squeezer, but you can use bottled lemon juice too.
- chopped pecans, walnuts, or any other nut you prefer to give an added crunch
- almond flour - I use almond flour to keep this recipe gluten-free. If you don't care that it is gluten-free then you can use whole wheat flour here as an option.
- light brown sugar - if you want to make this dish paleo then you can omit this ingredient and just sweeten you dish up through the fruit and maple syrup.
How to make this dish
Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, combine fruit with cornstarch and lemon juice in a large bowl. Spread in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or pie dish!
Step 2 - Then, for the crumble topping, combine oats, nuts, flour, sugar, oil, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Spread evenly over the fruit.
Step 3 - Finally, bake until the fruit is tender and the topping is browned, 40 to 45 minutes. The fruit should be tender and the topping golden brown and crispy. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving! This can also be delicious for breakfast served over some coconut milk yogurt or plain greek yogurt. Or, serve it as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream on top for a Easter Sunday dessert!
Serving dish suggestions
Here are some great serving dishes to make this meal in at your next get-together!
Ceramic Casserole Dish - this is a very pretty casserole dish if you plan on serving this at your next holiday gathering!
Basic Pyrex Dish - this one is great because it comes with a plastic fitted cover. If you don't finish all your juicy fruit crisp on the first day, this helps for easy storing.
Joyroom Bakeware - I really like this one for Easter or Mother's Day because the color is a spring yellow. This dishware also gives you lots of different serving options because it comes with a lasagna pan you can use when serving this to a crowd. It also comes with a square pan, or ramekins to switch it up if you are making this for one or for two people.
Mixed Berries - for this specific crisp I used a mixture of different berries, but you can also use canned fruit, frozen peaches, fresh pears or apples, fresh strawberries and blueberries. The combinations and possibilities are quite endless!
Almond Flour - I used almond flour so that I would be keeping this dessert gluten-free, but you can also use another gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour I have used in the past.
Gluten-Free Oats - Again, I used these oats because I wanted to keep this recipe free of gluten, but feel free to use regular oats, cooked quinoa I have even tried in the past, cake mix, oatmeal cookie mix, crumbled crackers, I have even heard of someone using Oreos before.
Cookware for this low-fat dessert
Some cooking items you will find helpful during this cooking process.
- a large mixing bowl. These are my go-to bowls for all mixing bowls. I've had my set for 5 years now and have no complaints - OXO three-piece mixing set!
- 9 x 13-inch baking pan to cook this in and I have also cut this dessert/breakfast in half and used a smaller baking pan. I like these Pyrex ones because they come in different sizes and have lids that attach for easier storage.
Tips and FAQ's
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or place in the freezer for up to 6 months.
You sure can! Follow all steps up until baking. Then cover with an airtight lid and store in fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 6 months.
Almost any fruit that works in a pie will work just as well for a crisp.
Other desserts to try
If you give this dessert a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Gluten-Free Fruit Crisp
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish or pie dish
- 4 cups frozen fruit (your choice) not thawed
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice the juice from half a lemon
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- ¼ cup pecans or walnuts chopped
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine fruit with cornstarch and lemon juice until well combined.
- Spread in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, pie dish, or ramekins if making for one or two. This is where you can choose the dish to your liking and who you plan on serving to.
- Then, combine oats, nuts, flour, sugar, oil, cinnamon, and salt in a small mixing bowl until well combined. Spread evenly over the fruit.
- Finally, bake until the fruit is tender and the topping is browned; 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving! You can store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. This can also be delicious for breakfast served over some coconut milk yogurt or plain Greek yogurt.
Amazing, enormous tasting dessert for any season of the year.
Super easy and delicious!
Delicious! My family loved it!
I’m so glad to hear that 🙂