A 30 minute delicious wholesome BBQ chicken dinner! Replicates the BBQ chicken flatbread Panera sandwich, but has a healthy twist and great flavor.Jump to Recipe
BBQ chicken flatbread is such an easy meal! This would be great for an easy weeknight dinner. I actually whipped up a second one in record time so that I would have leftovers for tomorrow. That is my go-to! I always make sure I cook enough the night before so that I can be sure my lunch the next day is healthy, as well! Panera Bread uses a flatbread mix, but I find it easier to just use whole wheat wraps or you can even use naan bread, my new favorite. Or if you are trying to cut back on your carbs you can even try using my Cauliflower Egg Wraps!
What do do need to make this healthy chicken flatbread recipe?
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To make this delicious meal you will need the following ingredients.
- whole wheat wraps - but you may try other flavored wraps if you desire or you can try corn tortilla wraps (One wrap makes one flatbread)
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce - the most delicious organic BBQ sauce that I've used is Annie's Organic BBQ sauce. All of Annie's products are organic, which I find to be a positive. I've linked the barbecue sauce below or use your favorite bbq sauce and let me know what it is in the comments below 😉
- ½ tsp of kosher salt and ½ tsp of ground black pepper
- ½ cup of finely shredded light mozzarella cheese. Panera Bread also adds gouda cheese into their flatbread so you can do that, as well, but my children just happen to not like gouda so I left it out. If adding gouda then also shred it. You can buy shredded cheese already shredded, but I like to shred it myself. A great way to do that is to use a grater.
- ²⁄3 cup chopped grilled chicken breast
- 1 ½ cups of slivered red onion
- 1 ½ tsp of chopped fresh cilantro or you can even add some chopped spinach.
P.S. I've omitted the frizzled onion straws to keep it healthier, but if those are your favorite part of the flatbread the please add them in.
How do you make this BBQ chicken flatbread?
If you need a quick way to cook your chicken, slice it up into strips and season it with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for an easy clean up. Cut your strips into 1 inch horizontal and about 3 inch vertical in length. Place strips in a medium sized mixing bowl and top with bbq sauce. Using a rubber spatula mix chicken around to be sure each piece in coated. Place chicken strips on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake your strips for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Then, place wraps on a small nonstick baking sheet. Bake 4 to 5 minutes per side or until crispy. If air bubbles form, poke them with a fork, then press out the air with a spatula or oven mitt. Remove the sheet from the oven. Top wraps evenly in layers with more bbq sauce, cheese, cooked chicken, red onion, and cilantro. Drizzle more bbq on top for a wow factor 😉 Last, bake 2 to 4 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Slice into quarters or fold wrap over to form a sandwich and serve immediately! Also, if you wanted to change it up a bit and have more calories you could make a BBQ chicken sandwich and put the ingredients on a whole wheat roll instead!
Substitutions for this flatbread recipe?
So, first of all, these are not actual flatbreads. They are tortillas disguised as flatbreads. The best part is tortillas have way less calories and carbs than an actual flatbread and who doesn't love healthy recipes. I love using them because they aren't as filling and they come in a variety of flavors. You can try garlic and herb, spinach, whole wheat, flour, corn and the list goes on. Use these wraps as the flatbread base.
Not a fan of BBQ? Here are other sauce to try on top.
- alfredo sauce (my favorite)
The toppings are also endless. I used chicken here, but you can pretty much use anything you want on top. Some ideas I have used in the past are
- ground turkey
- tofu turkey- for you vegetarians
- chicken sausage
- regular sausage
*If you would like to share your favorite flatbread combo please comment below on which one you like the best!
Tips and FAQ's
If you are looking for a side dish to serve with these flatbreads I always opt for a veggie. A green veggie would pair great with this recipe, like a roasted broccoli, green bean, or asparagus would be a great idea.
You sure can, but when storing the cooked food, keep the cooked bbq chicken separate and store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days. If you sore the chicken on top of the wraps they will get soggy. When you reheat just pop the chicken in the microwave in a microwavable safe dish before adding it to your flatbread. Then recreate with the steps on the recipe card.
If you have a ton of leftover chicken and want some leftover bbq chicken recipe ideas then I recommend one of the following
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas - use this recipe but sub in the bbq chicken instead of the ground turkey.
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas - use this recipe but sub in the bbq chicken instead of the ground turkey.
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Peppers - again use this recipe but swap the bbq chicken in.
Other chicken recipes you might also enjoy!
- Garlic Butter Chicken Bites with Lemon Asparagus
- Creamy Chicken Dijon with Mashed Cauliflower
- Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Healthy Chicken Quesadillas
- The Ultimate Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
BBQ Chicken Flatbread (Panera Copycat)
- baking sheet
- cutting board
- paring knife
- rubber spatula
- 4 whole wheat tortilla wraps or corn tortillas or any tortilla wrap flavor of your choice
- 2 tbsp Annie's organic BBQ sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce of choice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely shredded light mozzarella can also add ½ cup shredded gouda
- ⅔ cup chopped grilled chicken
- 1 ½ cup slivered red onion
- 1½ tsp chopped cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 375° farenheit and line a baking sheet with foil for an easy clean up. Season your chicken on both sides with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Have your child help season the chicken!
- Slice your chicken up into strips. Cut your strips into 1 inch horizontal and about 3 inch vertical in length. Place strips in a medium sized mixing bowl and top with bbq sauce. Using a rubber spatula to mix chicken around to be sure each piece in coated. Place chicken strips on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake your strips for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place wraps on another small nonstick baking sheet. Bake 4 to 5 minutes per side or until crispy. If air bubbles form, poke them with a fork, then press out the air with a spatula or oven mitt. Remove the sheet from the oven. Top wraps evenly in layers with more bbq sauce, cheese, cooked chicken, red onion, and cilantro. Drizzle more bbq on top for a wow factor 😉
- Bake 2 to 4 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Slice into quarters or fold wrap over to form a sandwich and serve immediately! Also, if you wanted to change it up a bit and have more calories you could make a BBQ chicken sandwich and put the ingredients on a whole wheat roll instead!