These baked chicken nuggets are super crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. They bake in only 20 minutes. This is the way to go when you want to stay the healthy route, but don't have the time to cook a full meal!
P.S. they taste better than Mc Donald's nuggets, shhhhhh!
So, are homemade baked chicken nuggets really healthy and are they really a thing? I wouldn't believe it myself if I didn't actually cook them and eat them, but let me be the first to tell you that healthy chicken nuggets do exist 🙂 This is the perfect way to trick your kids into eating healthy meals. I know my children love their junk food, but when they are eating these nuggets they are getting some quality nutrients into their system that I feel satisfied about.
If you want to try a delicious dip for them check out my Homemade BBQ Sauce that pairs perfectly!
However, I don't use the word, "healthy" when giving these to my kids because we all know that won't go very far 😉 I just call them yummy chicken nuggets. Taylor even helped me mix the ingredients, which I usually always have her do. Above all, I am a big believer if they help make it chances are they will most likely eat it. In addition, this recipe is also the perfect way to make your chicken nuggets crispy in the oven!
Ingredients to make these nuggets
To make these delicious healthy baked chicken nuggets you need a couple ingredients. Pictured below are all the ingredients you will need for these baked chicken nuggets.
You will need the following
- avocado oil - you can also use regular olive oil if you don't like the taste of avocado. Avocado oil has a higher smoke point, which is why I like to use it.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts - about 1 ¼ pounds
- panko bread crumbs - I like using panko over regular breadcrumbs because it gives your nuggets a crispier texture
- grated parmesan - grated is better to use over shredded because it mixes better with the breadcrumbs and sticks to the nugget easier
- dried oregano - I prefer and recommend using organic spices
- garlic powder - I prefer and recommend using organic spices
How to make this meal
Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil. Cut the chicken into small cubes; each breast should yield 12 pieces, and the cubes should be similar in size for even cooking. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper.
In a small ball, whisk the egg. In a medium dish, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Using a fork dip the chicken into the egg and then roll in the crumb mix, making sure it is evenly coated.
Lay the chicken on the baking sheet, leaving space between the pieces. Place the chicken in the oven, along with the carrots, and cook for about 20 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside and the carrots are tender. Turn the nuggets halfway through.
A great side dish for your homemade nuggets
Honey Glazed Carrots for the win! My kids LOVE carrots so I thought this would be the absolute perfect dish to accompany my homemade healthy chicken nuggets with. Healthy honey glazed carrots are insanely easy to make. What will you need for these bad boys?
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon avocado olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine the carrots with the olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper, tossing to coat. Arrange the carrots on either one side of the baking sheet, leaving room for the chicken nuggets or on a separate baking sheet, depending how much you are making. Set aside.
Want to spice things up?
So, the last time I made these crispy nuggets I was really in the mood for buffalo. No surprise there! Buffalo anything I am usually a number one fan for. I also have recently become obsessed with the brand Tessemae's because of their all natural products.
I always use Tessemae's Mild Buffalo Sauce when cooking anything buffalo. You can snag your bottle by clicking here! To make these healthy buffalo chicken nuggets, you will add a small bowl of buffalo sauce to your assembly line. After you dip your chicken in the egg then the panko mix you will quickly dip it into the buffalo sauce then line it on your baking sheet. Continue doing so until all your chicken is used.
Tips and FAQ's
I have found that the secret ingredient to CRISPY nuggets is to use panko instead of regular breadcrumbs. Panko is actually made from bread without crusts, so the flakes tend to stay crispier than your standard breadcrumb.
Yes you can! If you are looking to leave out the breadcrumbs, then just replace them with flour. I recommend using whole wheat flour. They won't be as crispy, but they will definitely still taste delicious.
If you bake your nuggets too close together they will steam and not get as crispy. I recommend leaving a 2 finger space between each nugget. Also, feel free to lightly spray your nuggets with cooking spray for an even more added crunch.
What else to serve with baked chicken nuggets
Other chicken recipes to try
If you give this recipe a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
- baking tray
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 ¼ pound
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- coconut cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375° and lightly coat a baking sheet with coconut cooking spray. Cut the chicken into small cubes; each breast should yield 12 pieces, and the cubes should be similar in size for even cooking. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. In a medium dish, combine the panko, parmesan, oregano, and garlic powder. Using a fork dip the chicken into the egg and shake off the excess. Then roll in the panko mix. Make sure the chicken is evenly coated and lay each piece on the prepared baking sheet. Be sure to leave space between your chicken pieces.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Turn the nuggets halfway through.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!