The crispiest crunchiest Sweet Potato Fries sprinkled with a little salt, pepper, cinnamon, and my favorite adobo seasoning! Cooked in the air fryer to cut your cooking time completely in half and when done these fries are tender on the outside with that mashed potato inside giving them the perfect texture.
So, I gotta say I have perfected the crispiest sweet potato fries! These fries have a phenomenal taste! They are crispy on the outside but still have that mashed potato feel on the inside.
Since I started making them it seems I never make enough. My husband and I devour every single one no matter how many potatoes I make. Making them in the air fryer has also cut the cooking time in half which is what I live for as a busy wife and mother of 4!
Table of contents
You will need the following ingredients to make these crispy sweet potato fries.
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes - a medium sweet potato is about 5 inches long. When picking your sweet potato look for a potato with firm, smooth, and even-toned skin.
- olive oil - an air fryer uses high heat so you want to choose an oil that has a higher smoke point. I like to use extra light or light olive oil over extra-virgin olive oil.
- adobo seasoning - I love Adobo seasoning. It brings out natural flavors and has a zesty, savory, tangy, salty flavor.
- cinnamon - adding this spice to your sweet potato fries gives them a little extra sweetness that compliments the dish perfectly.
How to make sweet potato fries in the air fryer
Step-by-step directions on how to make the crispiest sweet potato fries using your air fryer.
Step 1 - peel all the skin off your sweet potatoes using a veggie peeler.
Step 2 - Then chop them into julienne cuts. Start off by cutting the potato in half, then take each half and cut that half into strips.
Step 3 - Then cut the strips into julienne pieces. You want them to be in super thin slices.
Step 4 - Toss your chopped sweet potato fries into a large mixing bowl and drizzle in oil making sure to coat all fries. Take the bowl and toss fries up and around until fully coated with the oil or mix with a spoon to coat all sides. Then add your salt, pepper, adobo seasoning, and cinnamon.
Step 5 - Mix well to combine. Lay your fries in a single layer in your air fryer. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes with a temperature of 390 degrees. Shake the basket halfway through.
Step 6 - Serve as a yummy side dish with your favorite dipping sauce.
Cookware for this dish
Here is a list of all the cookware I used when making these super crispy fries!
- large cutting board - to chop up the sweet potatoes.
- vegetable peeler - to take the skin off your potatoes
- large kitchen knife - to cut up the potatoes because I found it way easier to chop using the biggest chef knife in my knife block.
- large mixing bowl - the sweet potato fries are mixed in a mixing bowl with the oil and seasonings.
- air fryer - the best kitchen appliance you will ever invest in!
Benefits of sweet potatoes
The sweet potato is part of the vegetable family. It is categorized into the red and orange vegetable groups. The average intake a female between 31 and 50 should consume a week is about 6 cups of red and orange vegetables.
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, we are actually consuming way less, around 2½ per week. Sweet potatoes have a ton of potassium and fiber in them. The standard portion size is 1 medium potato, which has 103 calories, 542 milligrams of potassium, and 3.8 grams of fiber.
Here are some substitution ideas for this healthy side dish.
Olive Oil - you want to use high smoke point oils that won't burn. You can also try avocado oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, or light olive oil.
Adobo Seasoning - you can use garlic powder here if you don't have this seasoning at home.
How can the kids help
I always love incorporating my children into my cooking and they love it just as much. Here are some ways they can help out with this healthy air fryer recipe.
- Have them toss in all the seasonings when you mix them into the bowl.
- Help you lay them in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Have them shake the air fryer halfway through the cooking process.
Tips and FAQ's
To get straight to the point, you want to cook your sliced sweet potato fries for 15 to 20 minutes at a temperature of 390 degrees. Make sure you shake the basket halfway through to ensure all sides cook evenly.
This could occur if you overcrowd the basket. You want to make sure your fries are in a single layer on the basket floor so that the air has room to circulate.
Make sure to cut your sweet potato fries super thin. If they are too thick it will make it very difficult to make them crispy.
Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag and place in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure they are cooled before storing them in the fridge.
More Air Fryer Recipes
These are my favorite dishes to serve with my Healthy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries:
If you give this recipe a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
The Crispiest Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- large chef knife
- cutting board
- large mixing bowl
- vegetable peeler
- air fryer
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into julienne cuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp adobo seasoning
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Step 1 - peel all the skin off your sweet potatoes using a veggie peeler.
- Step 2 - Then chop them into julienne cuts. Start off by cutting the potato in half, then take each half and cut that half into strips, then cut the strips into julienne pieces. You want them to be in super thin pieces.
- Step 3 - toss your chopped sweet potato fries into a large mixing bowl and drizzle in oil making sure to coat all fries. Take the bowl and toss fries up and around until fully coated with the oil or just mix with a spoon to coat all sides. Then add your salt, pepper, adobo seasoning, and cinnamon.
- Step 4 - Mix well to combine. Lay your fries in a single layer in your air fryer.Cook for 15 - 20 minutes with a temperature of 390 degrees. Shake the basket halfway through.
Jillian is the creator of Jillian's Healthful Eats. She is the one who cooks all the meals, develops all the recipes, takes all the photographs, and washes all the dishes! She is a very busy wife and mother of 4 who enjoys cooking with her children and instilling in them her own love for health and nutrition!