These Ground Turkey Meatballs are made in the Air Fryer and served with this delicious, creamy avocado dip. They only take 10 minutes to cook and are low-carb! I call that a double win. Perfect for a healthy Super Bowl appetizer!
This recipe for air fryer turkey meatballs is super easy to follow. These meatballs are loaded with nutrients and you only need a handful of ingredients to cook these delicious meatballs. They can be served as a healthy appetizer or for a quick weeknight dinner idea these are perfect.
They are also low in carbs and high in protein and when served with this insanely tasty, creamy, avocado dip they will blow anyone's mind! Looking for other low-carb appetizers you need to try my Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites and Garlic Butter Chicken Bites!
Table of contents
Ingredients for this meal
Here is a picture of all the ingredients you will need for this easy appetizer! I've added some extra information about some of the ingredients below this photo.
For the meatballs:
- ground turkey - I prefer ground turkey over beef any day. I like the taste better and it's generally lower in saturated fat.
- spinach - chopped - I also like adding chopped spinach to my meatballs because of my kids. Any way to hide dark leafy greens into a meal I know my kids will eat I'm all for it.
- garlic powder - one of my favorite go-to spices is garlic powder. Garlic powder has a sweet, yet less assertive taste than minced garlic.
- onion powder - I like onion powder over an actual onion in my meatballs because it blends much better and again if my kids see chunks of onions in their food they probably won't eat it.
- adobo seasoning - this seasoning is a combo of garlic powder, oregano, black pepper, cumin, and onion powder.
- panko bread crumbs - an important ingredient with meatballs because it helps the meatball to not dry out.
- minced garlic - my favorite way to cut corners is to use Spice World's Minced Garlic. Can you tell I'm a fan of the flavor of garlic?
- egg - you only need a small amount of egg when making meatballs. It helps the cooked meatballs keep their shape.
For the avocado dip:
- 1 avocado - skin and pit removed, if you've never peeled an avocado, follow my step-by-step directions below on how to slice an avocado.
- plain greek yogurt - I use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.
- mayonnaise - this ingredient helps the dip to make its creamy texture.
- cumin - is one of my favorite spices to use. Cumin is rich and hearty, earthy and warm, with a touch of citrus.
Step-by-Step instructions for this dish
Step 1 - In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey, spinach, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, adobo seasoning, panko, minced garlic, and egg.
Step 2 - Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
Step 3 - Using clean hands, scoop out about 1 tbsp of ground turkey mixture and roll it between the palms of your hands creating a ball. Place the formed ball on a plate until all meatballs are formed.
Step 4 - Lightly spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with cooking spray and add your meatballs in a single layer. Spray the tops of your meatballs to help with added crispiness. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 min. Flip meatballs around and air fry for another 5 minutes.
Step 5 - Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl add your avocado, plain greek yogurt, mayonnaise, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Step 6 - Mix well to combine.
Step 7 - Serve meatballs with your creamy avocado dip!
How to slice an avocado
Step 1 - Hold your avocado in your non-dominant hand. Using your dominant hand, hold a knife and cut around the outside of the avocado lengthwise.
Step 2 - Remove the pit by scooping it out with a fork or a spoon.
Step 3 - hold one-half of the sliced avocado in your non-dominant hand and using your dominant hand, slide a fork or spoon around the inside of the skin and outside of the avocado removing it from the skin.
Step 4 - Repeat the skin removal from the second half the same way you removed the skin from the first half. Then mash your avocado in a bowl.
Avocados are considered a superfood because they have a lot of nutrients and antioxidants, such as folic acid, Omega 3, magnesium, potassium, lutein, and fiber. They are also rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K. They contain copper, manganese, and iron.
How can the kids help
My daughter really enjoys helping me cook in the kitchen. Whenever I ask her if she wants to help Mommy cook she always gets super happy and says, "yes" with a big grin on her face.
A study I found in Science Daily actually states if your children help you cook at home they are more likely to enjoy fruits and veggies than kids who don't cook.
Your kiddos can help you make these easy meatballs by adding all the ingredients into the mixing bowl. They can also help you stir the avocado dip! You can also teach them how to get dirty and roll up a meatball 😉
Cookware for this dish
- Here are the mixing bowls that I love and use on a daily basis.
- This is the air fryer I own, but there are tons of options to choose from. I like mine a lot because it has 2 baskets so you can air fry 2 different dishes at the same time.
Here are a few swap ideas you can use in case you don't have all the ingredients on hand.
Ground Turkey - as I stated above I always use ground turkey. If you prefer ground beef, then you can certainly use that meat. Another suggestion would be to use ground chicken.
Spinach - I love hiding leafy greens in my children's meals, but these meatballs don't need spinach. It's just an added nutrient, but you can omit it if you aren't a fan.
Panko Breadcrumbs - Here are a few options you can try instead of using panko. Some substitutions you can try are regular breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, crushed melba toasts, crushed tortillas, or crushed cornflakes. The texture will be a little different.
What to serve with Turkey Meatballs
So, you want to make this a full meal, but aren't sure what to serve with your easy turkey meatballs. Well, here are a few ideas that I have found to compliment these meatballs perfectly.
- Homemade Crockpot Applesauce - who doesn't love an easy crockpot dish? Applesauce and meatballs are a pleasant surprise served together.
- The Crispiest Sweet Potato Fries - a crunchy sweet potato fry will compliment any protein meal.
- Grilled Veggie Kabobs - an easy veggie side dish is always a great option.
- Creamy Cucumber, Tomato, and Chickpea Pasta Salad - a simple pasta salad is always a good idea!
Tips and FAQ's
Make sure you don't overmix your ingredients to make sure your meatballs are tender.
When you place your meatballs in the air fryer you want to leave room between each meatball. Place them in a single layer and not touching. If you need to cook more than one batch do so. This way you make sure they cook evenly.
Store your meatball and avocado dip separately. Store each in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze your meatballs in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you are ready to cook your meatballs, let them thaw completely and place them back in the air fryer for 5 minutes.
Other meatball recipes to try
If you give this recipe a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! I always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs with Creamy Avocado Dip
- air fryer
- mixing bowls
- For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup spinach chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp adobo seasoning
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 egg
- cooking spray
- For the avocado dip:
- 1 avocado skin and pit removed
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp cumin
- Step 1 - In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey, spinach, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, adobo seasoning, panko, minced garlic, and egg.
- Step 2 - Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Step 3 - Using clean hands, scoop out about 1 tbsp of ground turkey mixture and roll it between the palms of your hands creating a ball. Place the formed ball on a plate until all meatballs are formed.
- Step 4 - Lightly spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with cooking spray and add your meatballs in a single layer. Spray the tops of your meatballs to help with added crispiness. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 min. Flip meatballs around and air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Step 5 - Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl add your avocado, plain greek yogurt, mayonnaise, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Step 6 - Mix well to combine.
- Step 7 - Serve meatballs with your creamy avocado dip!
Leave a Reply