Grilled veggie kabobs are one of my favorite sides to make in the summer. I tend to get very bored with the sides that I make for my meals. Obviously, I prefer healthy options to go with my healthy meals, but because I like to spend the most time on my main dishes, my sides get no love.
To make life easier, I usually end up throwing a Steamfresh bag of veggies in the microwave and call it a day. Even though they are veggies because they were in a bag they are probably a little processed. Incoming, grilled veggie kabobs! The only part of this side that takes any amount of time is cutting up the veggies, but to save time during the week you can chop them up during your meal prep Sundays and save them in bag in the fridge for when you're ready to eat them and just toss them in the mircrowave.
Thc veggies I decided to use are cherry tomatoes, zucchinis, yellow squash and red bell peppers. You can obviously use whatever veggies you want. Lately though, I've been trying my best to eat more red bell peppers. One red bell pepper delivers nearly three times as much vitamins as an orange and because I'm eight months pregnant this is very important to me. Vitamin C is known for keeping your immune system in fighting form, and that's clearly particularly helpful during pregnancy, because your immune system runs at low speed when carrying a baby.
Ingredients for these kabobs
You will need 1 small container of cherry tomatoes, 2 medium zucchini cut into quarter pieces, 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into square, and 1 medium yellow squash, sliced into quarter pieces. When my veggies are an array of colors I think the dish looks prettier 🙂
For the marinade you will need ¹⁄3 cup avocado oil, ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, 3 tbsp Tessemae's dijon mustard, 2 tbsp pure honey, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, 1 tsp of basil, 1 tsp of parsley, 1 tsp of oregano, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Here is the Tessemae's Starter Pack that includes the dijon mustard in it if you want to give it a go. You are going to need skewers, as well, and some freezer bags to marinade your veggies in.
How to make grilled veggie kabobs
First, slice all veggies and place them into a bowl. Make sure to soak your skewers in water for 30 minutes. This way they don't burn when you are grilling them. Once you are done slicing the veggies place them in a freezer bag. In a small mixing bowl combine the oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
Pour into the bag of veggies and mix around using your hands and the bag sealed. Place bag in fridge for at least 1 hour to marinade. Remove veggies from fridge and thread them onto skewers until all veggies are used. Preheat grill to medium heat and grill skewers for 10 minutes or until done.
* 168 calories per cup 🙂
Grilled Veggie Kabobs
- paring knife
- cutting board
- freezer bags
- 1 small container of cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini cut into quarters
- 1 medium yellow squash cut into quarters
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into bite size squares
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp pure honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- First, slice all veggies and place them in a large bowl. Meanwhile, soak skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning while grilling.
- Dump all sliced veggies in a freezer bag.
- In a small mixing bowl combine oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour marinade into freezer bag and seal. Using your hands toss around to coat veggies. Place in fridge for at least 1 hour to marinade.
- Remove from fridge and thread onto skewers until all veggies are used.
- Preheat grill to medium heat and grill skewers for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through and tender.