First of all, turkey skillet mac and cheese is such a great comfort food that I highly recommend it to anyone in need of some comfort 🙂 During a quarantine I think everyone need some comfort in their lives. I've clearly been on a mac and cheese kick 🙂 I blame the pregnancy cravings, but whose really complaining! This mac and cheese is to die for and the ground turkey is an extra added bonus of protein!
I know I am usually looking for more ways to add protein to my diet and this is the perfect way. Therefore, another added bonus in my eyes is the cheese. I am slightly addicted to cheese, if you haven't noticed. It's probably in almost all of my meals eaten throughout the day and I know it's not the best for you so I try to be more conscious. Besides that what's a bowl of mac and cheese without the cheese? Hope you love this meal as much as I do 🙂
Ingredients for turkey skillet mac and cheese
First and foremost, you need a cast iron skillet. I've linked the one I use under my favorites page. Click here to check it out - Favorites Page! You can't make a skillet meal without one of those! The ingredients you will need are 1 ½ tsp of kosher salt, 12 ounces of whole wheat macaroni, 1 pound ground turkey, 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, ½ medium onion, finely chopped, 2 garlic cloves, minced, ¹⁄3 cup whole wheat flour, 3 cups of 2% or reduced fat milk, ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, and ¼ tsp. of paprika. Last, but certainly not least, my favorite ingredient the cheese. You will need 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese and ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
How to make this dish
First, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt, then add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta! Meanwhile, brown the ground turkey in a cast iron skillet or other heavy pot over medium heat. Transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.
In the same skillet, add the butter, onion, and garlic and sauté until the onions are softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring about 2 minutes. Next, pour in the milk, stirring, bring to a simmer. Season with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, the pepper, and the paprika. Stir in the cheese until melted. Last, combine the pasta in with the cheese sauce. Fold in the ground turkey and serve!
Turkey Skillet Mac and Cheese
- cast iron skillet
- cutting board
- paring knife
- large pot
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 12 oz whole wheat macaroni
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups 2 % or reduced fat milk
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 3 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- ½ tbsp parsley for topping (optional)
- First, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt and pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown the turkey in a cast-iron skillet. Drain in a colander and then transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.
- In same skillet, add butter, onion, garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and whisk for about 2 minutes. Until flour makes a rouge. A roux is basically the consistency of a liquid from thin and drippy to a classic sauce consistency that coats the back of the spoon.
- Pour in milk and stir, bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Season with remaining ½ tsp salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix to combine.
- Sir in the cheese and mix until melted.
- Combine pasta with the cheese then fold in the ground turkey! Top with parsley then serve!