This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a must-try! It's super easy to make and comes out of the oven chocolatey, moist, and SUPER delicious. Only takes about 10 minutes to prep and can be served as a healthy snack, a tasty dessert, or even for breakfast!
This recipe originated from my Grandma so it is near and dear to me 🙂 Grandma served this as an appetizer, including more veggies (besides the zucchini), I put a spin on it and decided to make it sweet. This is one to save for the guests!
Moist zucchini bread is the way to go! This bread is so savory and made with clean ingredients! I would suggest if you are using store-bought zucchini, you should use it within a day of buying—the fresher the zucchini the better the bread. The freshness also adds to the moistness, which makes the bread what it is!
Are you looking for other tasty zucchini dishes? You NEED to try my Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups! They are a huge hit in my house and I make them without ricotta.
Table of contents
Ingredients for this healthy zucchini bread
Below is a picture of all the ingredients you will need to make this simple zucchini bread.
- cooking spray - you will need some cooking spray to spray on the loaf pan so that the bread doesn't stick while baking.
- whole wheat flour - I prefer using whole wheat flour for the nutrition aspect. It also has a more nutty and tasty flavor which pairs wonderfully with the zucchini.
- salt - using salt to make your zucchini bread is essential to giving the bread the structure and taste it needs.
- baking soda - this ingredient will help make the bread light and fluffy.
- baking powder - will add even more light and airy texture.
- cinnamon - extra for sprinkling on top right before baking
- eggs - also helps make the bread lighter and fluffier.
- unsweetened applesauce - using applesauce adds the necessary moisture the bread needs to hold the dry ingredients together.
- coconut oil - melted - using coconut oil over extra-virgin olive oil helps to better control blood sugar levels.
- pure vanilla extract - adds an infused rich flavor.
- pure maple syrup - a healthier approach to adding sweetness to your bread instead of using refined sugars.
- zucchini - grated and ends chopped off. About 2 medium zucchini should get you enough for the recipe.
- chocolate chips - the best part of the bread! Adding those yummy delicious chocolatey morsels that melt right into the bread when they bake. Don't forget to add some extra on top right before baking.
How to make zucchini bread
Step-by-step directions for making homemade zucchini bread.
Step 1 - Preheat oven to 350° and spray a loaf pan with the cooking spray. Mix all ingredients together except the zucchini and chocolate chips.
Step 2 - Mix until well combined.
Step 3 - Using a grater, shred your zucchini. Follow the steps below for how to grate your zucchini.
Step 4 - Using a rubber spatula, fold in zucchini pieces and chocolate chips. The mix will be lumpy.
Step 5 - Finally, pour the zucchini mixture into the prepared baking loaf, sprinkle with more cinnamon, and top with more chocolate chips.
Step 6 - Bake for 1 hour. Let cool completely then slice into pieces 🙂
Here are a few swap ideas you can use if you happen to not have the ingredients listed on hand.
Whole Wheat Flour - if you don't use whole wheat flour or want some other options you can also use all-purpose flour or bread flour. Just remember, they are not as healthy as using whole wheat flour, nutrition-wise.
Unsweetened Applesauce - I love adding this to my baked goods because it adds more moisture. You can totally omit this ingredient, but you might have a drier end product. If you need a good substitute I would try a plant-based yogurt or even some mashed banana.
Coconut Oil - if you are not a fan of coconut oil because it does have a very coconutty taste you can swap it out for extra-virgin olive oil, butter, or lard.
You will need a good loaf pan for this recipe. I've linked a good set of 2 that are non-stick! I have also found that when I fold in my zucchini pieces, it is easier to mix them well using a rubber spatula. I have also linked below. The grater I've linked is also the one I own and what I use to grate my zucchini.
How to grate zucchini
First, cut off the ends using a sharp knife.
Next, hold the grater in your non-dominant hand and using your dominant hand slide the zucchini up and down holding it lengthwise.
Then, bang the grater on the cutting board to release all the shredded zucchini. Move the grater to the side revealing all the zucchini.
Last, continue until your zucchini is grated to about an inch and a half left. You don't want to grate it too close to the end to be sure you do not cut your fingers. Graters can be very sharp.
How can the kids help
I also love having my kids help me make anything! Here are some fun ways to include your kiddos in the baking process. This is an easy recipe to incorporate for your kids because everything is just added to one bowl.
- help add the zucchini to the bowl.
- help add all the ingredients into the mixing bowl.
- help fold in the zucchini
Tips and FAQ's
I know it may be tempting, but there is no reason to peel the zucchini prior to the grating. Zucchini melts into bread, so peeling is unnecessary.
An overgrown zucchini is called a marrow. Large zucchini are excellent when baking. So, if you've got an abundance of overgrown zucchini you are ready to start baking this easy zucchini bread!
You can store your zucchini bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. If you are going to be devouring it, like my family did, then you can wrap it in plastic wrap or foil and leave it on the counter.
Other zucchini recipes to try
If you give this recipe a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- mixing bowl
- loaf pan
- cooking spray
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon extra for topping
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups grated zucchini ends chopped off (about 2 medium-sized zucchinis)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Step 1 - Preheat oven to 350° and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients, except zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Step 2 - Mix until well combined.
- Step 3 - Using a grater, shred your zucchini. Follow the steps below for how to grate your zucchini.
- Step 4 - Using a rubber spatula, fold in zucchini pieces and chocolate chips. The mix will be lumpy.
- Step 5 - Pour into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and baking for 1 hour.
- Step 6 - Let cool completely once done cooking. Slice into pieces and enjoy!
Jillian is the creator of Jillian's Healthful Eats. She is the one who cooks all the meals, develops all the recipes, takes all the photographs, and washes all the dishes! She is a very busy wife and mother of 4 who enjoys cooking with her children and instilling in them her own love for health and nutrition!