Zucchini Parmesan is an Italian dish baked with crispy, thinly sliced zucchini, melted cheese, and creamy tomato sauce. Bursting with flavor and cooked to perfection! This is a MUST TRY!Jump to Recipe
So, this Zucchini Parmesan was insanely delicious! My aunt gave me this recipe. My grandma was raving about how great it tasted when my aunt made it for her and insisted I give it a try. So I did and I gotta say it was a game changer. Crispy zucchini in every bite topped with melted mozzarella and savory sauce! Can't wait to make this meal again!
We grew zucchini in our garden this summer and the biggest zucchini I ever saw grew in it. We used that zucchini for this parmesan. Fresh from my own garden! Kudos to me 😉 I know most people don't have their own garden, so store bought zucchini will work the same magic if you follow this recipe! I also used my own zucchini to make these Oven Baked Zucchini Chips!
Ingredients for this delicious dish!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate and Thrive Market affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Below is a photo of all the ingredients you will need to cook this delightful zucchini parmesan!
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium zucchinis - choose a zucchini that is firm and has no nicks or cuts. Really fresh zucchini will bristle with tiny hairs. Zucchinis ripen from midsummer to fall so now is the time to really make those zucchini dishes!
- 2 large eggs - whisked in a large shallow bowl
- 1/4 cup almond milk - can use regular milk if preferred, but almond milk is dairy free and considered vegan
- 1 cup whole wheat flour - Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour - 5 oz $11.08
- 1 cup of avocado oil - below I explain why I choose avocado oil over olive oil when pan frying
- 2 bags of 16 oz. part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning - I'm all about the organic life, Simply Organic Italian Seasoning - $5.69
- 2 tbsp garlic powder - Simply Organic Garlic Powder - $5.49
- kosher salt and ground black pepper - to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce - Primal Kitchen Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce made with Avocado Oil - $5.59 , this sauce is certified gluten-free, gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free, vegetarian, whole 30 approved, vegan, non-gmo project verified, whole 30 compatible, grain-free, low sugar, no added sugar or sweeteners, no-gmo, plant based
How do you make zucchini parmesan?
Step 1 - Slice zucchini using a mandolin slicer. This is the one I have here. Slice your zucchini lengthwise. Step 2 - Pour your flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dip the sliced zucchini into the flour. Step 3 - Then, in a separate shallow bowl add your eggs and milk. Dip your zucchini into your egg and milk mixture.
Step 4 - Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium heat and pour 1 tbsp of avocado oil into the pan to coat. Add your zucchini to the pan and fry your zucchini 3 to 4 minutes on each side until browned and crispy. Step 5 - Lay your fried zucchini on top of paper towels to soak off excess oil.
Step 6 - Spread a thin layer of your tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Step 7 - Lay a layer of fried zucchini on top of your tomato sauce. Step 8 - Sprinkle a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of your zucchini, then parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Repeat until all ingredients have been used. Bake at 350 degrees farenheit for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Cut and serve 🙂
Why use avocado oil over olive oil when pan frying?
Avocado oil is unrefined, like regular olive oil, which means it can be used to cook at a higher heat. It has a very high smoke point. A higher smoke point means it doesn't burn and smoke as quickly. A high smoke point also means that you can safely heat an oil without producing oxidation. Oxidation is when a compound reacts with the oxygen in the atmosphere. This produced free-radicals. You want to steer clear of free-radicals as much as you can! Avocado oil has a smoke point of 520 degrees farenheit and olive oil has a smoke point between 374 and 405 degrees farenheit.
Tips and FAQ's
When do I flip my zucchini during frying? During my trial for this zucchini parmesan I noticed the zucchini strips will start to bubble when it's time to flip them to the other side. This will usually take about 3 to 4 minutes. Use a fork to flip them so you don't scrape off any of the breading.
Flour first then egg - dip your zucchini strips into the flour first then into the egg/milk mixture. This will create a lighter, fluffier texture!
Don't use too much sauce - use only enough sauce between each layer to have a THIN layer of sauce. Don't use too much sauce or your meal will be soggy! Around 1/4 cup or less with each layer.
Storing your leftovers - Store any leftover zucchini parmesan in an airtight container. Can be stored in your fridge for up to 3 days or if you want to freeze your leftovers they can be in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Don't own a 9 x 13 inch serving dish or interested in purchasing a new one. I've linked some below that would be perfect for this meal
- Modern Ceramic Bakeware Dish - Quality Stoneware made in portugal - $29.99 - love the color of this one! It will look very pretty when entertaining!
- Pyrex Basic Glass Oblong Baking Dish - $16.37 - everyone needs a basic glass 9 x 13 inch baking dish!
- Oven to Table Casserole Dish, 100% Stoneware Ceramic - $44.99 - these are beautiful and come in a set of 2! They are the ultimate lasagna dish.
- Insulated, Expandable Double Casserole Carrier and Lasagna Holder - $26.99 - this is genius! Making your lasagna to bring to a friend of family members house? Pack it into this casserole carrier and you're good to go!
|Swap this:||For this:|
|2 large eggs||2 flax eggs - 1 tbsp flaxseed meal, 2.5 tbsp of water to make 1 egg|
|almond milk||cow's milk|
|whole wheat flour||almond flour or all-purpose flour|
|part-skim mozzarella||regular mozzarella shredded or fresh mozz chopped up|
Other Zucchini Dishes to try:
- Oven Baked Zucchini Chips
- Chicken Parmesan Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Roll-Ups
- Zucchini Bread
- Grilled Veggie Kabobs
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium zucchini
- 2 large eggs whisked
- ¼ cup almond milk or cow's milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 2 16 oz bags part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- koser salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Slice zucchini using a mandolin slicer. Or using a paring knife and cutting board, cut your zucchini strips very thin. Make sure to slice your zucchini lengthwise for when you layer it to make your parmesan. Pictured is how you want to slice your zucchini
- Pour your flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dip the sliced zucchini into the flour making sure to coat both sides.
- Then, in a separate shallow bowl add your eggs and milk. Dip your zucchini into your egg and milk mixture.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium heat and pour 1 tbsp of avocado oil into the pan to coat. Add your zucchini to the pan after it has been dredged in flour and the egg/milk mixture. Fry your zucchini 3 to 4 minutes on each side until browned and crispy. Continue following these steps until all your zucchini strips have been used. Add more oil as needed while frying your zucchini.
- Lay your fried zucchini on top of paper towels to soak off excess oil. Layer your zucchini and paper towels until all zucchini has been fried.
- Spread a thin layer of your tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Lay a layer of fried zucchini on top of your tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of your zucchini, then parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Repeat until all your sauce, zucchini, cheeses, and seasonings have been used.
- Bake at 350 degrees farenheit for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Cut and serve 🙂