The most insanely delicious HEALTHY apple bread you will ever have! This apple bread is gluten-free and seriously SO moist! It has a sweet, delicious, mouthwatering taste and your whole house will smell while it's baking.
Warning: be prepared to eat the whole loaf! Yes, it's THAT good 🙂
So, did everyone else who went apple picking for the season have tons of leftover apples that they didn't know what to do with? I know my family did and me being the girl who hates to waste food I , of course, was trying to use all my apples so that I didn't have to throw any away. I was trying to brainstorm some ideas and then I remembered my Zucchini Bread I made a few weeks ago and Bam! That is where the apple bread idea came from!
That bread was so moist and delicious that I couldn't see how replacing the apples for the zucchinis wouldn't make this recipe a winner. Besides the peeling and chopping of the apples I found this recipe to also be pretty easy to make. You're basically mixing everything in one bowl and then putting it in a loaf pan and tossing that in the oven.
I'm also always thinking of ideas of healthy snacks that I can eat while on the go. I figured bread is one of those grab and go types of foods. After cooking my bread I kept it in the fridge so that it would last longer. My kids are all big apple fans too, which is an added bonus when looking for healthy snacks for them.
Ingredients to make this bread
- coconut or avocado cooking spray - I prefer to use avocado oil in my cooking. It has a preferable monounsaturated fat profile.
- ghee - 4th and Heart Clarified Butter - ghee helps to reduce inflammation and promote gut health, which I'm always on board for
- coconut sugar - Organic Coconut Palm Sugar coconut sugar is a plant-based natural sweetener. It contains healthy fats that are known to help prevent high cholesterol and heart disease.
- 4 medium apples, peeled and sliced, then cut into bite sized pieces
- You will also need a loaf pan for baking this delicious treat. I've linked the one I use below.
How to make apple bread
- Preheat oven to 350º and spray a loaf pan with coconut or avocado cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients together using a whisk. In a separate small mixing bowl mix all wet ingredients together using a rubber spatula.
- Next, combine both bowls and mix well. Fold in sliced apples and pour into prepared loaf pan sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Bake for 1 hour.
- Slice and enjoy!
Almond flour - you can substitute the almond flour for whole wheat flour, but I have not experimented with any other flour for this specific bread.
Ghee - this clarified butter can be swapped out for melted coconut oil.
Coconut Sugar- if you do not happen to have coconut sugar in your house, you can use light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, or granulated sugar in equal amounts.
Egg - if you want to keep your bread dairy free and not use any eggs, you can use a banana instead.
Almond Milk - if you prefer to use another type of nut milk, that will also work!
How 'bout them apples
So, what type of apples are the best for baking? Honeycrisp apples are a popular one. They are one of the sweetest apples around. It has a distinctive juicy crispness that would be great for any type of baking. Granny Smith are also another favorite apple to bake with. It's a tart and tangy apple with a firm flesh. Gala apples are my personal favorite to baking (or eating). These apples are sweet and tend to keep their form when baking so they don't get mealy.
Tips and FAQ's
It took me three times to find the answer to this question. If your apples are too juicy they will leak out too much water while baking, making your bread gooey. If this is the case, cut back on your apple amount and only use 1 or 2 and chop them up into more pieces so they are evenly distributed throughout your bread.
First, I peel my apples using a veggie peeler. Then I use my apple cutter, which I cannot live without. This is the apple cutter I have. Basic and gets the job done. OXO Good Grips Apple Slicer
I would recommend storing it in the fridge because it is SO moist. Use an airtight container for up to one week. Make sure the bread is entirely cool before storing. Or store on counter and finish in one day 😉
Other bread recipes you might also enjoy
If you give this bread a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Healthy Apple Bread
- loaf pan
- mixing bowls
- coconut or avocado cooking spray
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 4 - 5 medium apples peeled, sliced, and cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl, combine almond milk, egg, applesauce, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and pure maple syrup. Whisk until well combined.
- Next, combine both bowls and mix well. Fold in apples. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing!