The healthier version of your basic blondie recipe! These Easter Blondies are made with all wholesome, clean ingredients! You can have these out of the oven in 30 minutes. They are super moist and chocolatey on the inside and crispy on the out.
You guys..... these Easter blondies are no joke! If you are looking for a healthy dessert, well look no further. This blondies recipe can be eaten anytime really, but I just thought they looked so festive for the Easter holiday.
This recipe is near and dear to me, to say the least. For my bridal shower, my Grandma wrote down some of her favorite recipes and put them in a cookbook. It was the perfect present I could get and I know I will cherish it always <3 This is where I originally got this recipe, I did tweak it a tiny bit (sorry Grandma), but it's pretty much the same.
If you want another Easter dessert recipe check out my Fruit Crisp! It is surely a crowd-pleaser!
Table of contents
Ingredients to make these easy blondies
You will need the following ingredients.
- unsalted butter - unsalted butter gives you complete control of the flavor of the recipe. This is especially important when baking.
- light brown sugar - I share a tip below on how you can soften up your brown sugar if it has become rock hard.
- eggs - when you use whole eggs in a recipe, you get some of the best parts of both the yolk and the white. Whole eggs are excellent binding agents, especially in cakes, cookies, and other baked goods.
- 1 package m&m's - I like to use the Easter colored m&m's for this specific dessert.
- nuts - this is an optional ingredient to give an added crunch to your final product. I chose to add walnuts 🙂
How to make this dessert
Step 1 - Preheat your oven to 350° and grease a 9 x 13-inch glass dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a small mixing bowl, melt your butter and add in the sugar and eggs. Whisk together until well combined.
Step 2 - In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. To sift flour, you can use a strainer or a wire whisk. If you do not have either, you can sift the flour with a fork.
Step 3 - Grease your baking dish and the blondies slid right out. You can grease your pan with butter or cooking spray. There was no sticking issues whatsoever.
Step 4 - Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the nuts (optional) and the m&m's. Your batter will be a little thick, but that's okay. Dump batter into the prepared baking dish and flatten it down with a spatula to make the top an even layer.
Step 5 - Then, the fun part, I had my children take extra m&m's and push them into the top. They probably ate about 20 m&m's through this step!
Step 6 - Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Cookware that will be helpful
You can also never go wrong with some good pyrex dishes. These come in a 3 pack of all different sizes and have the lids that attach right on for when you are storing them. I also used a spatula to flatten down my batter into the baking dish. I found these super fun spatulas with sayings on them on Amazon and I love them 🙂
m&m's - the original recipe also calls for chocolate chips. If you would prefer those instead I would use dark chocolate chip or semi-sweet dark chocolate chips. You can also use both if you really wanna get chocolatey!
Whole Wheat Flour - you could also use any nut flour, oat flour, coconut flour, or regular white flour. Coconut flour is slowly becoming my favorite to use because the flavor of it is strong enough where you always end up tasting a bit of coconut in each dish you make.
Unsalted Butter - Grandma's original recipe used soft margarine so feel free to use that instead of unsalted butter. I believe the less sodium you use the healthier the meal if you are looking to stick to a more healthy version then definitely use unsalted butter or ghee.
How to soften brown sugar if it is rock hard
If your brown sugar is rock hard, like mine usually is, here is how you soften it up. Place your brown sugar onto a microwave safe plate. Wet a paper towel and place it on top of your brown sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from Microwave. If it is still hard continue microwaving in 30 second increments until the sugar has soften. Voila!
OR, another super easy way is to throw it into a blender and watch it crumble up before your eyes!
Tips and FAQ's
Blondies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. The bars may also be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Blondies will stay fresh for up to 5 days this way but are at their best if eaten 1-2 days after baking. If you need to store brownies for longer than 5 days, then they also store well in the refrigerator or freezer.
Absolutely not! Here are a few other ideas you can choose from or just leave out the candy altogether for your basic blondies. Chocolate chips, peanut butter chocolate chips, reese's pieces, peanut butter cups, white chocolate chips, butterscotch morsels are just a few options to choose from.
Other desserts to try
If you give this dessert a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
- Different size mixing bowls
- sifter or a colander will also work
- 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish
- mixing spoons
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter melted, if measuring out a stick that's one whole stick for 8 tbsp. then 2 more tbsp plus 2 tsp from another stick.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 package m & m's one 10 oz bag.
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup walnuts optional and can use any nut of choice. Chopped or blended.
- coconut cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 in glass baking dish with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, melt your butter. Mix in sugar and eggs. Whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the m & m's and nuts (optional). Save a few m&m's to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Dump batter into prepared baking dish and press down with a spatula to make the top an even layer. Press extra m & m's into the top so you can see them.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve with an Easter smile.