The most flavorful, easiest, shrimp tacos you will find! Made with my homemade taco seasoning and loaded with just the right amount of garlic and some delicious red bell peppers! Layered in warm corn tortillas and topped with melted cheese, salsa, and lime juice! Perfect for anyone's Taco Tuesday!
It's Tuesday, Everybody! You know what that means, Taco Tuesday in the Schneider house! So, in honor of Taco Tuesday, here we have Mexican Shrimp Tacos! I am a huge fan of shrimp and tacos, so it's that much better when I can put the two together.
Also, this dish only takes 15 minutes to make from start to finish! This is a great dinner idea for those busy weeknights when you want to keep the ingredients clean, but also don't want to spend hours in the kitchen. If you like shrimp as much as I do then you need to try my Bangin' Good Shrimp or my Shrimp with Parsley Garlic Butter!
Ingredients for this dish
You will need the following ingredients.
- salsa - optional topping, you can make your own or store-bought. Of course I recommend organic.
- plain greek yogurt - also an optional topping. I have been using plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream for years and I promise you I cannot tell the difference and it's so much better for you.
- red bell peppers - make sure you cut the peppers into thin strips. This will be added on top of your shrimp so you don't want them to be thick.
- shrimp - deveined and shells removed. I advise buying them already deveined because the process to take the veins out is pretty gross and does take a bit of time.
- taco seasoning - I have an amazing homemade taco seasoning recipe, but you can always buy your taco seasoning at the store if you don't have all of the spices at home.
- lime juice - juice from ½ a lime. I invested in a manual juice squeezer and it works amazing. A great purchase for sure.
How to make this dish
Step 1 - In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil and add the red bell peppers. Cook until softened; about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, garlic, and taco seasoning. I've linked my homemade taco seasoning recipe here. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until all shrimp are opaque and cooked through.
Step 2 - Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Assemble your tacos and Voila!
Tip for assembling - Place tortillas in the microwave on a microwavable-safe plate. Cover and microwave for 30 seconds. This helps the tortilla to stick together. Remove from microwave and fill the tortilla with shrimp mixture and top with salsa and plain greek yogurt. Of course, I topped mine with some shredded Mexican cheese 🙂
Equipment you will need
You will need a medium non-stick skillet to make the shrimp dish. I am always a stickler for the Cuisinart brand. Here is a decent-priced Cuisinart that I would recommend making this meal in.
Topping ideas for your next taco night
The topping ideas are endless for what to add on top of your shrimp! You can mix and match each and every one of them if you desire. Here are a bunch of ideas you can try out. If there are any that you want to share please do so in the comments below. I always love hearing what you all have to say.
- avocado, sliced with the skin and the pit removed
- red onion, sliced into slivers
- cilantro, fresh and chopped
- cheese, you can use any cheese you desire for your tacos. Some cheese ideas are cheddar, Mexican cheese blend, Taco cheese blend, Gruyere, Cotija, Monterey-Jack.
- sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- red bell peppers - cut into slivers
- sliced tomatoes
- chopped lettuce - romaine or spinach
- Ranch dressing - drizzled on top
Tips and FAQ's
Yes, you can! After you cook your shrimp refrigerate it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you're ready to eat you can heat it up on the stove in a medium non-stick skillet with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook until heated through.
You sure can! Skip the step that involves cooking the shrimp and simply toss your pre-cooked shrimp with the cooked peppers, garlic, and taco seasoning and cook until heated through.
Put your frozen shrimp in a bowl of cool water while you prep your other ingredients. The best part about frozen shrimp is they should thaw out in about 15 minutes.
Other seafood recipes to try
If you give this dish a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Mexican Shrimp Tacos
- medium non-stick skillet
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup red bell peppers stem and seeds remove and cut into slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz cooked shrimp
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning homemade or store bought
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas or whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded Mexican or Taco cheese blend
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil to medium heat and add your red bell peppers. Cook until softened; about 5 minutes. Then, add shrimp, garlic, and Mexican or Taco seasoning. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and add lime juice.
- Place tortillas on a microwavable safe plate and microwave for 30 seconds before assembling. This helps the tortillas to stick more easily.
- To serve, fill each tortilla with the shrimp mix and top with salsa, plain Greek yogurt, and cheese.