This is the perfect salad for summer! This cucumber, tomato, and avocado salad is super refreshing and very easy to make! There's just something about a juicy, ripe tomato mixed into a light and flavorful salad that screams summer to me!
I originally made this salad for a family get-together! Everyone LOVED it and so it has now become a salad that we make quite often in the summer months.
My husband's coworker gave him some balsamic vinegar as a gift. We tried it the other night and it's the tastiest balsamic vinegar I've ever tried. Everyone must give this brand a go! I've linked it below
Due Vittorie Oro Gold Balsamic Vinegar imported from Italy! Worth every penny!
If you're looking for some other light summer dishes then you should try my Homemade Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing or my Creamy Cucumber Tomato and Chickpea Pasta Salad!
Ingredients to make this summer salad
You will need:
- 2 avocados - skin and pit removed and chopped into squares. To remove the pit, slice your avocados lengthwise in a complete circle, rotate halves and pull apart. Your pit will be easily exposed for you to discard.
- cherry tomatoes - halved. When the tomatoes are halved they will soak up more of the dressing and have a more appealing taste. Try and use the ripest tomatoes you can find.
- fresh mozzarella balls - you can buy them at your local supermarket already in balls, but if you are having difficulty finding them you can use a mozzarella block and scoop out balls using a melon baller.
- red onion - a red onion has a more sweeter taste than a yellow onion, which makes it great for salads!
- fresh basil and parsley - I always find that using fresh herbs really enhances your dish. It also makes the meal look prettier and more appetizing when serving. You can use dried herbs though, as well!
How to make this dish
This salad looks super delicious and is a real crowd pleaser! It also looks very appetizing and refreshing. It is extremely easy to make and takes minimal time.
Step 1 - slice avocados down the middle and remove the pits and peel away the skin. Put avocados in a small bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Cut the avocado into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2 - Peel the outside of the cucumber using a veggie peeler. Then, slice the cucumber into circles then cut into quarter pieces. Cut the onion in half and remove the outside layer, dice the remaining half.
Step 3 - Rinse the red cherry tomatoes and cut them in half.
Step 4 - Finally place all veggies, cheese, seasonings, and balsamic vinegar in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Dump into a pretty serving dish and top with more basil and parsley! Serve with a smile 🙂
Why you will love this salad
It's super simple - this dish literally comes together in 5 minutes! If you are a beginner in the kitchen this is the meal for you! You just chop up the veggies and mix in some dressing ingredients. Your kids can also help with this meal if you like incorporating them in the kitchen; as I do!
The perfect side dish - this salad is so versatile, that it can be served with almost any meal. If you need a quick side dish to put together, this is the one! It can be served on the side of any main dish and it will compliment it perfectly!
Lots of nutrition - since this meal mainly consists of all veggies it's packed with a ton of nutritional benefits! Your body will thank you after eating this salad 😉
There are a few add-ons you can try out or even some ingredients you don't have to use. Below are some suggestions!
Cherry Tomatoes - I love the way cherry tomatoes burst in your mouth, but you can also Roma tomatoes, Campari tomatoes, Better Boy, or your basic Gardener's Delight! You can really use any other tomato you desire.
Fresh Mozzarella Balls - I always say fresh is best, but I know sometimes that's not always as easy to buy. In this case, you can try using shredded mozzarella cheese, as well, or even buying a block and cutting it up into bite-sized pieces.
Tips and FAQ's
Yes, you can, but there are some tweaks on how it will be made. Leave out the avocado and dressing. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Right before you serve it add in the avocado and mix in the dressing!
Avocado browns quickly so I would recommend not storing this salad for more than a day. The lemon juice will help keep the avocado to stay green longer, but it will still turn. Use plastic wrap at the top of the bowl and press down to secure as much oxygen from entering as possible. This will also help keep the avocado from browning too quickly.
You can try salting the cucumber and tomato. This can be done by adding them to a colander and sprinkling salt on generously. Then place in sink and leave to drain for 15 to 20 minutes. After draining, pay dry with a paper towel removing any excess salt. This will help make the veggies crisper.
Other salads to try!
If you give this dish a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Cucumber Tomato and Avocado Salad
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
- paring knife
- 2 avocados pit removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 medium cucumbers slices and quartered
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls
- ½ small red onion outside layer removed and diced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh basil diced
- ½ tsp fresh parsley diced
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- First, slice the avocado in half, remove the pit and slice the inside into bite sized pieces. Place avocados in a small bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Next, peel the cucumbers and slice them, then cut into quarters.
- Then, rinse cherry tomatoes and cut in half. Cut the onion in half and remove outside layer then dice. Add all the chopped veggies and cheese to a mixing bowl.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the mixing bowl and all the seasonings. Mix well to combine.
- Dump into a serving bowl and add more basil and parsley for topping to make it look pretty!
Absolutely delicious and refreshing!!
The balance of ingredients created with this recipe makes is easy to go in…smooth and very tasty!!