The most delicious flavorful Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup without Milk. Loaded with veggies and tons of aromas that will have your whole house smelling warm and inviting! Close your windows or the neighbors will be knocking 😉Jump to Recipe
This tastes just like the Panera Bread broccoli cheese soup and I am guilty as charged to say I have an obsession for that soup. This soup does take a little bit of a time to cook so I made it on a Sunday afternoon. There are a few steps that you need to take in order to cook this just right. It took me a few times to make it the right way and to actually taste good with the perfect consistency. The first couple times I tried it was too watery or too thick, but this time I nailed it. Hubby approved (my biggest critic)!
This soup was inspired by my other favorite soups. You must give my slow cooker ground turkey lentil soup a try and my slow cooker chicken tortilla soup a go also. These are perfect for that football Sunday funday meal!
Here's what you need to make this soup!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Below is a photo of the ingredients you will need to make this broccoli cheese soup.
- 2 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour - I've always been a big fan of Bob's Red Mill products. Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour - $12.33
- 2 cups half and half cream - I always try and use organic when buying my ingredients. Horizon organic is a great brand I've been using for awhile and am always happy with.
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth - Free Range Low-Sodium Chicken Broth - $3.92
- 1/2 lb. fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp low fat cheddar cheese
- ground black pepper and kosher salt
Directions for Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup!
Step 1: Heat a large pot to medium heat and saute the onion in 1/2 tbsp butter until tanslucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. In the same large pot whisk together the remaining 1 and 1/2 tbsp butter and flour over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. This will create a roux, which is the base of your soup.
Step 2: Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
Step 3: Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Stir to cover the veggies with the stock. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
Step 4: Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve.
What goes well with broccoli cheddar soup?
I have a couple suggestions you can try to serve with this soup. Some fresh crusty bread from your local bakery will pair really well. Dipping anything into this soup is an amazing way to savor it. I like also using little Melba Toasts. I also found this company that sends bread right to your doorstep. You just bake it in minutes and it's delicious. The Essential Baking Company Take and Bake Garlic Bread - $22.99.
How can I serve this soup?
You can serve this delicious soup in your everyday soup bowl or even out of a bread bowl. Sourdough bread is the best bread to use to make a bread bowl. You can also top your soup with some crusty croutons, sprinkle some extra shredded cheese on top or even a few small chopped carrot or broccoli pieces.
Tips and FAQ's
Yes you can freeze this soup! Dump the soup into freezer bags and store in freezer for up to 3 months. You can also place in an airtight container and keep in fridge for 3 to 4 days.
My tip is to chop up your veggies into chunks instead of dicing them. The last time I made this soup I used a hand chopper for my veggies and they came out too small and it made my soup grainy. Bite sized pieces are the way to go!
This soup takes about 45 minutes to cook. This recipe requires a little TLC so I recommend making this on the weekend so your whole house can smell of cheesy soup and then you can devour it.
Other soups and broccoli recipes you need to try!
- Slow Cooker Ground Turkey Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Broccoli Melts
- Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- Linguine with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup without Milk
- cutting board
- paring knife
- dutch oven or large pot
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ lb fresh broccoli chopped
- 1 cup carrots peeled and grated
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz grated sharp low fat cheddar cheese
- ground black pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- melba rye toasts for dipping (optional)
- Heat a large pot to medium heat and saute the onion in ½ tbsp. melted butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. In the same large pot whisk together the remaining 1½ tbsp melted butter and flour over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. This will create a roux, which is the base of your soup.
- Slowly whisk in half and half and the chicken stock. Add salt and pepper to your liking here. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Stir to cover the veggies with the stock. Let them simmer on medium-low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender. Stirring occasionally. Add more salt and pepper here to your liking.
- Add nutmeg, more salt and pepper, and sharp cheddar cheese. Stir to combine and cook until the cheese has melted then serve!