This Shamrock Shake is a copycat of the McDonald's Shamrock Shake. My version is a healthier shake made with protein, fresh greens, matcha powder, for those added vitamins, and topped with the most delicious keto whipped cream!
Saint Patrick's Day is right around the corner. These healthy shamrock shakes are exactly what you need to get in the spirit! My kids loved helping me make them too and they loved drinking them even more.
If you want another recipe to help you celebrate Saint Patrick's Day you should try my Easy Irish Soda Bread to get you into the spirit!
If you want to swap the bananas out for some vanilla ice cream for some added sweetness, be my guest :0. Also, if you feel like making it a boozy shamrock shake then add in a little Irish whiskey! I also made my whipped cream at home! I found this amazing keto whipped cream recipe from a fellow blogger. Be Brave and Bloom's Homemade Keto Whipped Cream is linked below!
Ingredients for this shake
Here are the ingredients you will need for this healthy shamrock shake, which was also kid-tested and enjoyed! You will need the following:
- frozen and thawed bananas - I like to freeze them before adding them to my shake to make the shake more of a frozen drink, but if you prefer it to have the consistency of a smoothie then don't freeze your bananas.
- unsweetened vanilla almond milk - I like using unsweetened vanilla almond milk because it has less sugar in it than regular almond milk, but the vanilla gives it just the right amount of flavor that you need.
- vanilla flavored protein powder - I happen to be a fan of the infamous Shakeology. My favorite flavor to add into this shake is vanilla.
- PB2 powdered peanut butter or natural peanut butter - PB2 Pure 100% Natural 6g of plant based protein
- matcha powder - I like adding matcha to this smoothie because first of all, it's green, and second, it's very good for you to eat. If you've never had matcha before, it has a sweet nutty flavor and a touch of bitterness, but with a savory ending.
- green sprinkles - Saint Patrick's Day Sprinkle Mix (these are optional, but they make your drink look festive)
- green straws - Saint Patrick's Day striped paper straws (another optional add-on)
- a few drops green food coloring - Watkins Assorted Food Coloring This brand has no artificial dyes and helps make your drink that much greener.
How to make this delicious shake
This is a simple one. Add all ingredients into a blender and blend on high! Pour shamrock shake into a glass and top with your homemade whipped cream. Sprinkle on your sprinkles and insert straw! Slurp away 🙂 If you are in need of a great blender I have the Ninja Blender, that I have had for almost 7 years, and have never had any issues.
Substitutions for this Saint Patty's Day Shake
I know that not all of the ingredients I used are what everyone enjoys or they just don't have on hand. If you want some swap suggestions I've listed a few for you below.
Frozen Bananas - I had stated earlier that you don't need to use frozen bananas and regular bananas work just as well. The only reason I like frozen is because they give your shake more of a frozen drink vibe, but if you prefer a more smoothie texture then regular bananas are the way to go.
Almond Milk - you can really use any milk type that you enjoy. Some other options are coconut milk, cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk, cashew milk, or any other milk that you are a fan of will work perfectly!
Matcha Powder - feel free to omit this ingredient if you don't enjoy the taste of matcha. It has a stronger taste that I feel people either love or hate.
Tips and FAQ's
This shake has a vanilla taste to it, with a hint of a sweet nutty flavor. When it is topped with whipped cream it has a creaminess that is to die for!
The calories are an insane difference! According to McDonald's their shamrock shakes have 460 calories, 12 grams of fat, 76 grams of carbs, and 10 grams of protein. My protein shake has ONLY 87 calories, 2 grams of fat, 16 grams of carbs, and 4 grams of protein.
If you are planning on making a bulk amount of this insanely delicious shake you can store it in your fridge for a day or two.
Other holiday treats to try
If you give this shake a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Protein Shamrock Shakes
- 2 frozen and thawed bananas large
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 tbsp PB2 powdered peanut butter or regular natural peanut butter
- 1 scoop protein powder I like to use vanilla protein powder, but any flavor you enjoy will work.
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- green sprinkles
- green straws
- homemade whipped cream
- a few drops of green food coloring
- In a blender add bananas, almond milk, spinach, PB2 powder or natural peanut butter, matcha powder, protein powder and food coloring. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and top with homemade whipped cream, green sprinkles, and green straws!