Coconut Crusted Chicken Strips made with whole grain cereal are sweet and crunchy and very simple to make! They are oven baked and made without eggs. A vegan egg was used instead!
Coconut Crusted Chicken Strips are healthy, easy and quick to make. The shredded coconut gives a sweet flavor and a crunchy texture. If you're craving fried chicken, but don't need the extra calories, reach for these instead.
I made double the recipe and stored them in my freezer in a resealable bag. Then, when I was feeling too tired to cook, I just took one out and popped it in the oven or toaster oven for a quick dinner. If you think these are amazing you need to try my Pretzel Encrusted Chicken!
These are also an added bonus because my kids loved them. Taylor will be 5 in April and she is totally living in the picker-eater stage. It has been a struggle to find things she likes. I always try to get her to at least take a bite of whatever it is I made to at least expose her to different foods. Sometimes she tries the foods, but I'm not gonna lie, I do have to bargain with her. I also have a 2-year-old and a 1-year-old so you can imagine my house dynamic 😉
Table of contents
Ingredients to make this meal
You will need the following ingredients -
- 2 egg whites - if you happen to not have eggs or prefer not to use eggs, then you can use vegan eggs, which is what I did. I explain below how to make a vegan egg. You need ground flaxseed in order to make vegan eggs.
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut. I have always been a fan of Bob's Red Mill unsweetened shredded coconut.
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast - cut into strips.
- 3 cups of whole-grain cereal - crushed to crumbs in a resealable bag or use your blender and blend until crumbs are formed. Make sure your cereal is whole grain flakes. They stick better and taste better!
Fun Fact - in the past I've used Raisin Bran Cereal because it uses whole-grain flakes and the raisins baked are out of this world. If you aren't a fan of raisins, then just use plain whole-grain cereal.
How to make a vegan egg
You need to start with some ground flaxseed meal (love a good organic brand). Bob's Red Mill actually has directions on their bag on how to do this. For every egg you use 1 tbsp of flaxseed and 3 tbsp of water and have it sit for 5 minutes before using. So, for this recipe I used 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal and 6 tbsp of water. Mixed them together in a small dish and waited 5 minutes before using.
How to eat these strips
Well, you can eat these coconut crusted chicken strips plain or change things up. Have your strips with a salad! Yes, we all know that spinach is a super healthy food for you to be eating in general. I literally eat it everyday in some way shape or form. I feel like I can always find a way to incorporate it into my meals. That is where I decided to make this dish into a salad.
I used 1 cup of baby spinach, a handful of blueberries because they are good for your memory and Mom brain is a real thing. Last, but certainly not least, I added some crumbled feta cheese. If you are pregnant make sure you use pasteurized feta cheese.
For dressing I used my go-to easiest 2 ingredient homemade dressing. That consists of 1 tsp of garlic salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil. I used Chosen Foods avocado oil and McCormicks Garlic Salt. Sprinkle the salt on first, then drizzle the olive oil on and toss.
How to make these strips
You will start off by preheating your oven to 400°F. Put the egg whites or vegan egg in a small, shallow bowl and whisk with a fork until frothy. Put the cereal, coconut, salt, and pepper in a food processor (or blender) and pulse to combine.
Transfer the mixture to a shallow plate. I had my Taylor help me dump all the ingredients into the blender and press the buttons. Luke also enjoys helping with this process and little Cammy even started enjoying getting in on the cooking.
Next, I dredge the chicken strips in the egg white or vegan egg mix using a fork to avoid touching the chicken because that is just not my thing. Then, I dip the chicken into the coconut mixture pressing down to make sure the coating really sticks.
Place the coated strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. If you are in the market for a new blender, I have the Ninja and it works like a charm.
Fun ways to coat chicken
I've found that you can really coat your chicken with almost anything! Some fun, yummy, ideas I've come up with are
- panko breadcrumbs
- chips (I'm thinking kettle cooked, but if anyone tries Doritos please let me know)
- a buttery cracker
- Cheetos are another one I haven't tried, but someone MUST
- the possibilities are really endless 😉
Tips and FAQ's
Whole wheat cereal can come as flakes or as little wheat squares. The flakes break up WAY easier and coat much better to the chicken.
Not at all! I enjoy using it because the crunch is like nothing you've ever had before. Best crunch in the game 😉 If you prefer to leave the cereal out then swap in some whole wheat flour instead to help the coconut flakes stick better.
Your leftover chicken strips can be stored in an airtight container in fridge for 2 to 3 days or if you want to freeze them place in a freezer bag, seal, and place in freezer for up to 3 months.
Other chicken recipes to try
If you give this recipe a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Coconut Crusted Chicken Strips
- baking pan
- shallow dish
- 2 egg whites OR if you happen to not have eggs or prefer not to use eggs, then you can use vegan eggs, which is what I did. If you want the vegan egg you will need ground flaxseed combine 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp of water to make 1 vegan egg and let sit for 5 minutes before using. For this recipe use 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal and 6 tbsp of water
- 3 cups whole-grain cereal crushed to crumbs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and set aside.
- Put the egg whites in a small, shallow bowl and whisk with a fork until frothy OR if you prefer the vegan egg, mix 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal and 6 tbsp of water in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
- Put the cereal, coconut, salt, and pepper into a food processor (or blender) and pulse to combine. Transfer to another shallow bowl.
- Next, dredge the chicken strips in the egg white or vegan egg mix using a fork to avoid touching the chicken or you can get down and dirty and use your hands. Then, dip the chicken into the coconut mixture pressing down to make sure the coating really sticks. Coat both sides of chicken.
- Place the coated strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil and bake 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve on a salad or with your favorite dipping sauce!