So, this crack chicken stuffed peppers recipe is now on my rotation of healthy dinner ideas. This recipe makes a ton of extra creamy chicken so I had enough to eat for lunch the next couple of days and we all know I love my leftovers.
They call this crack chicken because once you start eating you pretty much can't stop. Each bite is better than the one before. It has everything that is yummy and addicting! Each pepper is filled with crispy bacon, melted cheese, and my healthy version of homemade ranch dressing!
How to make this crack chicken stuffed peppers
So, I started off by preheating the oven to 450 °. You need it nice and hot to soften up those peppers. Cut the red bell peppers in half (lengthwise) and remove all the seeds. Stuff each bell pepper with the crack chicken. I'll explain how to make the crack chicken below. Sprinkle each with cheese put back in oven until cheese melts. Remove from oven and top with already cooked turkey bacon. Voila!
I paired mine with asparagus and it complimented the peppers really well! This is a type of dinner you don't even have to make a side for. The peppers and chicken and turkey bacon is enough in itself. So, that will save you even more time when you're whipping this meal up.
Why is it called crack chicken
This recipe gets in name because once you start eating it it's very hard to stop. Crack chicken is absolutely perfect for those of you trying to eat a healthy balanced diet. The next three days after I had this for dinner I had crack chicken in a bowl sprinkled with a little reduced fat cheese on top and heated up in the microwave.
It was my lunch for the week. I am currently on maternity leave, but once I go back to work this would also make for an easy lunch to bring with me and eat up at work. You can even serve this as a dip with some chopped veggies or some healthy pita chips 🙂
- baking tray
- medium non-stick skillet
- 1 lb ground chicken can use chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese I recommend reduced-fat or fat-free cheese
- 4 pieces turkey bacon cooked and diced
- ¼ cup plain cottage cheese
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 large bell peppers seeds removed and cut lengthwise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Place your ground chicken in medium non-stick skillet set on medium-high heat and cook until no longer pink.
- In a small mixing bowl combine cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper, kosher salt, parsley, and dried dill.
- Once the chicken is done, drain in a colander and add to a bowl with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Slice peppers and stuff with crack chicken mix. Place on a baking tray lined with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top with diced turkey bacon and shredded cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Top with more parsley and serve with some extra plain greek yogurt on top or even a dollop of sour cream!