Easy Chicken Sausage Skillet
Jump to Recipe
So, I'm a full time working Mom and during the week I am super busy. Those quick and healthy weeknight meals are always the easiest for me and my family. I like to try to work out at least 3 to 4 times a week. After picking up my kids and having to do a ton of things when I get home I need quick meals. I've been trying to save my more time consuming meals for the weekend, or when I have the day off. This meal is perfect for those busy weeknights. I've also recently discovered I'm slightly obsessed with chicken sausage. My hubs is also a fan and he loves his meat so it's a win, win 🙂
From start to finish this meal probably took me a whole 20 min. I actually whipped it up while Luke was napping and Tay helped. Then I was able to cover it on the stove and keep it warm for dinner later in the day. I try to give Taylor and Luke what we are eating for dinner, but since I feed them so much earlier than when we eat, I will usually give them leftovers from our dinner the night before. I find it super important to try and give your kids a balanced diet. Obviously it doesn't always work out the way you plan, but you gotta at least try 😉
What do you need to make this meal?
You will need 1 pkg. All Natural "Thin Trim" Italian chicken sausage, 2 cloves garlic, minced, ¼ cup avocado oil, 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin, 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin, 1 pkg. frozen broccoli, ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth (can use water), ½ cup tomato sauce ( I usually use Cento), 2 cups cooked brown rice, and ½ cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you prefer).
How do you make easy chicken sausage skillet?
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
First, heat oil and garlic in a cast iron skillet (my fave kind of skillet ). If you need a recommendation on one I've linked the one I use here. Cast Iron Skillet. Next, stir in chicken sausage slices and cook until browned. Then, add pepper, onion, broccoli, broth or water, and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes until the veggies are tender and liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Once cooked, stir into the skillet mix and sprinkle with cheese. Mix well and cook until cheese in melted. Voila!!
Easy Chicken Sausage Skillet
- cast iron skillet
- cutting board
- paring knife
- 1 pkg. All Natural "Thin Trim" Italian chicken sausage casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 pkg. frozen broccoli
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth can use water
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice
- First, heat oil and garlic in a cast iron skillet.
- Next, stir in chicken sausage and cook until browned and in crumbles.
- Then, add pepper, onion, broccoli, broth or water, and tomato sauce. Mix well and simmer until veggies are soft and half the liquid is absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Once cooked, stir into the skillet mix and sprinkle with cheese. Mix well and cook until cheese is melted!