That's right! These flourless banana muffins are indeed made with chickpeas. No flour is used and they are super easy and quick to make. Made with creamy peanut butter and topped with the most decadent melted chocolate chips they are anyone's dream healthy snack! From start to finish they will be on your table in less than 30 minutes.
First of all, I would just like to say I am slightly obsessed with these flourless banana peanut butter muffins! I am usually on the hunt for new snack ideas for the reason that I sometimes get bored pretty easily, even with food.
When I stumbled upon the thought of flourless muffins I got SO excited because I am also a health nut (definitely like to indulge sometimes) and the idea of eating a muffin that was made with no flour totally improved my life 🙂
I have made these for some of my friends before and each one is still in awe that they are made with NO flour! You might even be surprised to learn that instead of flour they are actually made with chick peas. If you become just as obsessed with these chickpea muffins as I am you need to try my Pumpkin Oat Mini Muffins and my Butterscotch Muffins!
- chick peas - rinsed and drained
- old fashioned oats - Bob's Red Mill old fashioned rolled oats
- kosher salt - kosher salt enhances the flavor of foods which is why I am a big fan of using it.
- banana - make sure your banana is large and ripe because as banana ripen, the starch in the fruit turns to sugar. Ultimately, they become sweeter the riper they are.
- natural peanut butter - I prefer chunky peanut butter, but creamy will work just as well.
- pure maple syrup - pure maple syrup is high in antioxidants and doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup like most regular syrups do.
- pure vanilla extract - pure vanilla extract helps elevate the taste with an exotic and intense flavor and it is also natural and chemical free.
- semi-sweet chocolate morsels - can use dark chocolate chocolate chips, we well.
- coconut oil or avocado cooking spray - can use regular cooking spray as well
How many muffins? This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins or 14 mini muffins
If you are in the hunt for some muffin tins I've linked some good ones here for you. 12 cup muffin tin or 24 cup mini muffin tin! I love Rachael Ray's cookware line because of the handle grips and how they are non-stick! You will also need a blender. If you are in need of a good blender I am a big fan of my Ninja because it comes with smoothie attachments and I love smoothies. Here it is if you are interested - Ninja Blender.
How to make these moist flourless banana muffins
Step 1 - preheat oven to 350 ° farenheit and spray a muffin tin with coconut or avocado cooking spray or line your muffin tin with muffin cups and set aside. I love including my children in any way I can. Here is my daughter lining the muffin tins.
Step 2 - in a blender combine chick peas, oatmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, banana, peanut butter, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Blend until well combined.
Step 3 - Then, scoop mixture into muffin tins and top each with a couple chocolate chips on top.
Step 4 - Then, bake for 20 min. Last, remove from oven and let cool!
- LOVE using these Reusable Silicone Baking Muffin Cups
Why use chickpeas
- Packed with nutrients
- May help keep your appetite under control
- May help you manage your weight
- Inexpensive and easy to add to your diet
- They are naturally Gluten-Free
- Packed with fiber
- They are also a great source of plant-based protein for all those vegetarians and vegans out there
Substitutions for these peanut butter muffins
- pure maple syrup - a great substitute for pure maple syrup is honey. Honey has a similar texture to maple syrup.
- old fashioned oats - a really good substitute for oats is to use quinoa flakes. They are typically use when oats are blended into flour, but they would be a great swap here.
- natural peanut butter - you can swap out any nut butter for the peanut butter. Some options would be almond butter, cashew butter, walnut butter, etc.
- chocolate chips - you can totally omit the chips if you prefer or try butterscotch morsels instead
Tips and FAQ's
Store muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Make extra so you have snacks for the week 😉
100% YES! These banana muffins are the perfect healthy snack for your little ones. They are loaded with nutrients AND have chocolate chips in them. My one year old devoured them!
This recipe yields 12 regular sized muffins or 24 mini muffins! P.S. you just might want to double the recipe. Yup, they are THAT good!
Other healthy snack ideas you must try
If you give these muffins a try don't forget to rate the recipe below! Always love hearing what you all think. You can also Stay in touch with me through social media on @Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my healthy recipes!
Flourless Banana Muffins
- 12 cup muffin tin
- cooling rack
- 1 can garbanzo chick peas drained
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 1 large ripe banana
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter chunky or creamy
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- coconut or avocado cooking spray
- ½ cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin or 24 cup mini muffin tip with cooking spray or line the muffin tin with muffin cups and set aside.
- In a blender add chickpeas, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, banana, peanut butter, pure maple syrup, and pure vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Scoop mixture into prepared muffin tin halfway up each muffin cup. Sprinkle each with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.