Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Jump to Recipe
Healthy blueberry donuts that will leave you starring at them sitting on the counter until you can eat another! You wake up on a brisk autumn morning and walk into your kitchen ready to take on the day. Your pot of coffee is brewing and it's quiet! Everyone else in your house is still sleeping. You take out one of your breakfast dishes that you never get to use because your always on the go. One of these mouth watering healthy blueberry donuts is placed on your breakfast dish and you take a bite. Ahhhh, moist, gooey from the cooked blueberries, sweet, and melts in your mouth, your morning is complete! Yes! These are THAT good 🙂
Here's what you will need to make your morning complete!
*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To make healthy blueberry donuts you will need 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup almond flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp kosher salt, ¼ cup pure maple syrup, 1 egg, ½ cup unsweetend vanilla almond milk(I always use Blue Diamond Unsweetend Vanilla Almond Milk), 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 2 tbsp melted coconut oil, 1 to 2 cups of fresh blueberries. For the glaze that was drizzled on top when the donuts were warm out of the oven you will need 1 cup powdered sugar, ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract, and ¼ cup of water. I also decided to add a scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, but that is completely optional.
Now, for the fun part! If you don't have a donut mold, which I didn't, I found a loop hole.
You can either purchase a donut mold - I found this one on Amazon. It has 5 stars and is dishwasher safe, which I like because I'm always trying to cut corners. Wilton Non-Stick 6-Cavity Donut/Bagel Baking Pans, 2-Count - $20.59. Or, you can use one of your plastic sandwich bags. Cut a tiny hole in the corner and scoop some donut batter into the bag, then squeeze the batter out in a circle to form the donut. Squeeze the batter onto a pan lined with parchment paper. Voila! Donuts made without the mold! If you use the mold make sure your spray cooking spray first to be sure your donuts don't stick.
How do you make healthy blueberry donuts?
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add in a scoop Vital Proteins collagen, if desired.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, combine egg, milk, vanilla extract, pure maple syrup, and coconut oil. I always use the coconut oil last to avoid it hardening.
- Pour the wet batter into the dry batter and mix well.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared donut mold sprayed with cooking spray or line 2 baking pans with parchment paper. Using a sandwich bag, cut a tiny hole in the corner and scoop the batter into the bag. Squeeze the batter out in a circle onto the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the glaze. For the glaze mix the powdered sugar, water, and ½ tsp pure vanilla extract in a small bowl until well combined.
- Remove donuts from oven and drizzle the glaze on while they are still warm. Scoop them out onto a cooling rack until cooled off to eat.
- I highly recommend eating at least one warm 🙂
Healthy Blueberry Donuts
- mixing bowls
- donut mold or baking pans
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 to 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- coconut cooking spray if using a donut mold
- 1 scoop vital proteins collagen optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a donut mold with cooking spray or line 2 baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients; whole wheat flour, almond flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine. Mix in your collagen powder, if desired!
- In a second medium sized bowl combine all wet ingredients; egg, milk, vanilla extract, pure maple syrup, and coconut oil. I recommend adding the coconut oil last so it doesn't harden.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in blueberries.
- Pout batter into donut mold or using a plastic sandwich bag, cut a tiny hole in the bottom corner. Scoop the batter into the bag and squeeze out the batter on to the prepared baking pan forming a circle to shape a donut.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make the glaze; in a small bowl mix powdered sugar, water, and pure vanilla extract. Mix well!
- Remove donuts from oven and while still warm drizzle the glaze on top. Place donuts on a cooling rack and let cool.
- Tip: Eat at least one donut warm 🙂