Sometimes we all need a little carbs in our life. I was craving pasta so I decided to throw together my version of a healthy Mediterranean pasta dish. I was in no mood to drive to the store so I used whatever I had in my kitchen. First of all, I am not a big pasta eater so when I do get in the mood I don't do boring.
My number one tip is to be sure to use whole wheat over white when choosing your noodles. Just be sure to take a closer look at those nutrition labels. True whole wheat pasta will list 100 percent durum whole wheat flour as the first ingredient. Durum is a variety of wheat that has a higher protein and gluten content than any other kinds of wheat and that is most often found in pasta. Whole wheat is more nutritious than its refined counterparts, because it contains the nutrient-rich germ and bran that are stripped away during the refining process.
Ingredients to make this meal
You will need 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , 1 tablespoon of avocado or coconut oil , ½ pound mushrooms, sliced , 6 ounces whole wheat pasta of your choice (I chose penne) or any healthy pasta that you find or have on hand. I just don't recommend using white pasta.
You will also need 3 cloves garlic, minced, ¹⁄3 cup dry white, ¹⁄3 cup low-sodium chicken broth, 1 pound of ground turkey, ¼ cup roasted red peppers , and ¼ cup black olives. For the seasonings you will need ¼ tsp. kosher salt, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, and 1 tbsp. McCorkmick's adobo. You will need a pot for boiling the water to cook the pasta. I love the Rachael Ray line and find myself promoting it quit often. Rachael Ray 6 quart non-stick pot!
How to make this dish
First, put a large pot of water on to boil. In a large non-stick skillet add the butter and olive oil over medium heat. When melted, add the sliced mushrooms and stir. Let the mushrooms cook, undisturbed until they start to slightly brown. This will take about 10 min. Add a small handful of salt to the pasta water once it boils, then add pasta, cook for 10 minutes until al dente.
Drain and set aside. In a separate medium non-stick skillet add the ground turkey and cook until browned, drain and set aside. Next, in the same skillet as the mushrooms, add the garlic to the mushrooms and saute for 1 minute. Add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to enhance the flavor. Stir in the chicken broth, roasted red peppers, and olives. Stir to combine. Then, add the salt, pepper, and adobo and stir.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir very well to coat with the sauce. Add a ladle of pasta water if you think it needs it. Now, enjoy your Healthy Mediterranean Pasta! Serve with whole wheat rolls or a whole wheat baguette cut into slices, if desired.
Healthy Mediterranean Pasta
- pot for boiling water
- large deep skillet
- wooden spoon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- ½ lb mushrooms sliced
- 6 oz whole wheat pasta of choice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers chopped
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp McCorkmicks adobo seasoning
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. In a large non-stick deep skillet add the butter and over medium heat.
- When melted, add the mushrooms and stir until the mushrooms start to brown slightly, about 10 min.
- Add a dash of kosher salt to pot of boiling water and throw in the pasta. Cook until al dente, about 10 min. Drain and set aside. Also, in another non-stick skillet add ground turkey and cook until browned. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic to the mushrooms and saute for 1 min. Add white wine and scrape up the bottom using a wooden spoon to enhance the flavor. Bring to a low boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, roasted peppers, and olives. Stir to combine. Add the salt, pepper, and adobo and mix well. Cook about 8 minutes, until half the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and browned ground turkey and stir well to coat with the sauce. Add a ladle of pasta water if you think the dish is too dry. Plate the pasta and serve with parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve with whole wheat bread on the side or a whole wheat baguette cut into slices.