First of all, anything Mexican I am a fan of and Chicken Fajitas is definitely one of them. This is another meal I find helpful when mothering around :0 My new favorite term to use when you barely have enough time to eat, let alone cook a meal! There are three ways that you can make the chicken for these fajitas. One, boiling the chicken, then shredding it or you can grill it, then shred it.
My husband, Eric, happened to come home right before I started dinner so he offered to grill. Otherwise, I was going to boil it OR my favorite and easiest way to make these is in the CROCKPOT!
Why use plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream
You can't have chicken fajitas without that sour cream taste to smear all over each piece. When I first decided that I wanted to became a health nut I discovered that plain Greek yogurt tastes exactly like sour cream. Eric even agrees and he is a hard one to convince with my healthy swaps.
The comparisons of this small swap don't even come close. 4 ounces of plain Greek yogurt have only 130 calories, 5 grams of carbs, 11 grams of fat, and 4 grams of protein. As opposed to only 1 tbsp of sour cream, which has 208 calories, 6 grams of carbs, 19 grams of fat, and only 2 grams of protein. Thank you www.fitnesspal.com for making my life easy to find all nutrition facts. You guys I highly recommend this site if you ever need nutrition facts for any food.
Best condiments to eat with fajitas
You can't have fajitas without some chunky salsa to dip them in!
Plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.
I definitely recommend investing in a panini press. You'd be surprised how often you use it 🙂
How to make chicken fajitas in the crockpot
I will have to admit that since becoming a new mother of 3 I am loving the crockpot these days! What beats throwing everything into one pot and setting it and forgetting it? Not much in my eyes 😉 So start off by setting the crockpot on high. In the bottom of the crockpot, lay 1 lb of bonelss, skinless chicken breasts.
Top the chicken with 1 container (15.5 oz) of salsa, then 2 red bell peppers and 1 green bell pepper, cut into slices, and 1 medium sized onion, chopped into pieces. The on top of that add 1 tbsp of cumin, 1 tbsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp of paprika, ¼ tsp of kosher salt, and ¼ tsp of ground black pepper. Set it for either 8 hour on low or 4 hour on high. Once cooked using 2 forks shred the chicken. Voila! Eat with whole wheat wraps and some plain greek yogurt and shredded cheese on top!
- 1 lb chicken boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package whole wheat wraps
- 1 package reduced fat shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
- 1 container plain greek yogurt topping/optional
- 1 container salsa topping/optional
- 1 whole red bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 whole green bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Place chicken in a bag and season with lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, himalayan salt, and ground black pepper. Marinade for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat and add olive oil. Cook both peppers until softened. About 8 minutes. Remove from heat and place on a plate lined with paper towels to soak off some of the olive oil.
- Heat grill to 350 degrees and cook chicken until no longer pink in the middle. About 5 minutes per side. Once cooked, slice into strips
- Assemble fajitas by laying a wrap flat down and filling half with the chicken and peppers and sprinkling with desired cheese amount. Fold over other side of wrap to form a half circle.
- Heat a panini press and place the fajita inside. Close and cook until crispy on the outside. If you do not own a panini press you can use a pan and lightly spray with cooking spray and crisp each side pressing down with a spatula and flipping after about 2 minutes.
- Serve with salsa and plain greek yogurt for dipping!