These healthy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are everything they sound like and more. I made them with almond flour so they are gluten-free for everyone out there that follows that diet.
I also subbed out white sugar for light brown sugar. I did a little research to find out which was better to use. According to Healthline the only difference between the two is that brown sugar has slightly higher calcium, iron, and potassium contents. Brown sugar also contains slightly fewer calories than white, yet the difference is minimal. One tsp of brown contains 15 calories, while white has 16.3. Brown sugar contains molasses, which is why it is brown. So, using it will result in baked goods that are softer, but denser. If you really want to cut calories and healthy up your treats then the best choice is to use agave nectar or syrup. For every cup of sugar your recipe calls for try ²⁄3 cup of agave.
Coconut sugar is also a good sub because it is a 1 to 1 ratio for any white or brown sugar your recipe calls for. Pure maple syrup is also one I use quit often. The only thing with pure maple syrup is because it is a liquid you will have to reduce the amount of liquid your recipe calls for by 3 tbsp. For every cup of sugar sub out for ¾ cup of syrup. Honey is also the same as pure maple syrup. If you use honey use ¾ cup for every cup of sugar.
Ingredients to make these cookies
You will need 4 oz of light cream cheese, 1 ½ cups almond flour, ¾ cup of light brown sugar, ½ tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. baking soda, ½ tsp. kosher salt, 2 eggs, ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ tsp. nutmeg, 1 cup of natural peanut butter, and 1 cup of semi-sweet dark chocolate chips. If you are in need some new baking pans I am a fan of the Rachael Ray line. Rachael Ray Nonstick Bakeware Set!
If you are also in need of some good mixing bowls these are the ones I have. OXO Good Grip Mixing Bowls!
How to make these cookies
First, preheat oven to 375 °. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Place cream cheese in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds or until softened. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, cocoa powder, nutmeg, and peanut butter until a soft dough forms.
Remove spoonfuls of dough and using both hands roll to form a ball. Place on prepared baking pan and press down to form a cookie shape. Next, press chocolate chip morsels into top. Bake for 10 minutes. Then, place cookies onto a cooling rack until ready to eat!
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- baking pans
- mixing bowls
- small microwavable safe bowls
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl; microwave on high for 30 seconds or until softened.
- In a medium bowl add cream cheese, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, eggs, cocoa powder, nutmeg, and peanut butter. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop out spoonfuls of the mixture and using clean hands form a ball. Press the ball down onto the prepared baking pan and then push the chocolate chips into the cookies. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and then place cookies on a cooling rack until ready to be eaten.