I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this Greek fried rice! First of all, I know that I have mentioned in the past what a big fan of cheese I am 🙂 So, because this meal consists of feta cheese as one of the ingredients I enjoyed every bite. Second, this meal also has chick peas as one of the ingredients and chick peas have a lot of health benefits to them.
Chickpeas are high in fiber which I find to be super helpful since I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. I'll take all the fiber I need at this moment in time :0 Fiber helps the proper digestion during pregnancy by supporting the pregnant woman to steer clear of constipation. TMI (too much info.) Welp, it's the truth!
Also, I have always been a fan of salty foods. Appetizers over desserts any day of the week for this girl! The kalamata olives add just the right amount of salt to this dish.
Ingredients to make Greek fried rice
You will need 2 tbsp. avocado oil, 1 pound of chopped chicken breast (cut into squares), ½ cup chopped onion (red or white will work), 2 eggs, 1 cup chickpeas, drained, ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in halves and quarters, ⅓ cup kalamata olives, halved and pitted, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, ¼ tsp. kosher salt, ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, and 1 cup cooked brown rice. You will also need a wok to cook this meal in. I've linked the one I use below.
Directions to make this delicious meal
- In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until almost cooked through, stirring frequently.
- Add onion; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Crack eggs into wok and mix them in. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add chickpeas, parsley, cheese, tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Enjoy! Definitely makes enough for leftovers 🙂
Greek Fried Rice
- cutting board
- paring knife
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- ½ cup chopped onion red or white
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 cup chickpeas drained
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup grape tomatoes cut in half or fourths
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- In a large wok add olive oil and chicken. Heat over medium-high heat and cooked until almost cooked through; about 5 minutes.
- Add onion; cook 1 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add cooked rice and egg and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, parsley, cheese, tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Serve with more parsely and cheese on top; if desired!